The high-stakes legal chess match surrounding the murder of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson just took a massive turn. In a Manhattan courtroom, Judge Gregory Carro handed down a split decision on what evidence jurors will actually get to see. It's a mixed bag for both sides, but the prosecution walked away with their most critical targets intact. The alleged murder weapon and the suspect’s highly publicized writings are officially going to trial.
If you've been tracking this case since the wild December 2024 manhunt ended at a Pennsylvania McDonald's, you know the defense team has been throwing everything at the wall to get the physical evidence thrown out. They almost pulled it off. Judge Carro agreed that local police botched the initial search inside that fast-food joint. Still, thanks to standard police inventory procedures, the most damning items survived the chopping block.
Here is the real breakdown of what happened in court, why the legal technicalities fell the way they did, and what this means for the state's second-degree murder trial scheduled for September 8, 2026.
The Backpack Blunder and the Inventory Lifeline
The entire argument over the evidence stems from the moment Altoona police officers confronted Mangione on December 9, 2024. Someone recognized him, called it in, and cops arrested him on the spot. While inside the restaurant, officers searched his backpack without a warrant.
The defense team argued this was a blatant violation of Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches. They were right. Prosecutors tried to justify the immediate search by claiming officers were looking for explosives to protect the public. Judge Carro didn't buy it. He explicitly noted that the state failed to prove any real "exigency" or immediate danger that justified skipping a warrant inside the restaurant.
Because of that mistake, a handful of items found during that initial search are completely suppressed. Jurors won't hear about or see the specific ammunition magazine, the cellphone, the passport, the wallet, or a computer chip found right then and there.
But the prosecution caught a massive break.
While the initial search was deemed illegal, the subsequent search back at the police station was ruled a valid inventory search. When someone is booked into custody, police legally catalog everything on their person. Because officers didn't actually open or read Mangione's red notebook at the McDonald's, and because the 3D-printed 9mm handgun was properly processed under standard stationhouse inventory rules, Judge Carro ruled both are fully admissible.
What the Jury Will and Won't Hear
This ruling radically alters how Manhattan prosecutors will build their narrative this fall. The survival of the gun and the writings keeps the core of the state's case alive, even if the loss of the digital devices and phone records hurts.
The notebook is particularly devastating for the defense. It contains writings that detail deep, aggressive frustrations with the American healthcare industry. Cops previously revealed that the ammunition used to kill Thompson had words like "delay," "deny," and "depose" written on it. Having the notebook in evidence allows the state to tie a clear, ideological motive straight to the man sitting at the defense table.
Don't expect prosecutors to call it a "manifesto" in front of the jury, though. During preliminary hearings, Judge Carro warned that inflammatory labels like that wouldn't fly during the actual trial to avoid unfairly prejudicing the jury. They'll stick to calling it a notebook or personal writings.
There is also the matter of what Mangione said to the cops. The defense team fought hard to throw out everything he said from the moment he was cuffed until his extradition to New York ten days later, claiming he wasn't properly read his Miranda rights.
Judge Carro landed somewhere in the middle. Any statements Mangione made in response to direct police interrogation before being properly Mirandized are out. For example, when officers pressed him on why he lied about his identity and gave a fake name at the restaurant, those answers are barred.
The Broader Legal Battle Leading to September
To understand how big of a deal this state court ruling is, you have to look at the parallel track this case is running on. Mangione is facing both state and federal charges.
Earlier this year, US District Court Judge Margaret Garnett handled a similar suppression motion for the federal case. She took a much harsher stance against the defense, ruling back in January that the entire contents of the backpack were fair game under multiple exceptions to the warrant requirement.
While the defense lost that round, they managed to score a massive win on a different front. They successfully got the top charges dismissed in both jurisdictions, effectively taking the death penalty off the table in the federal case. Now, the 28-year-old Ivy League graduate is looking at a maximum sentence of life without parole if convicted on the remaining charges, including state second-degree murder and federal interstate stalking.
With the state trial locked in for September 8, 2026, and jury selection for the federal trial following closely in October, today’s decision removes the last major roadblock for New York prosecutors. They lost the phone and the passport, but they kept the gun and the motive. In a murder trial, that's usually more than enough to step up to the plate.